Thursday, December 15, 2016

Sweet Caroline


SWEET CAROLINE

Most people do not associate sports with music. Music and sports are generally kept separate and viewed as two totally different things. I have been an avid fan of sports for the majority of my life. Since the age of 5, I have also been a avid follower of baseball, specifically the Boston Red Soxs. I consistently watch most of their games. Baseball is truly my passion and watching these games are sacred to me. I had thought I had known everything about their games and about the team's traditions in general.

Since I have joined choir, during their games I have noticed one more thing. The song Sweet Caroline, which is played every game before the bottom of the 8th inning. When I first truly noticed the song this past September it took me by surprise. After all the rap and hip hop during the game this nice sweet song comes on. It honestly blew me away. I had known the words to this song from before and loudly sang along. I would have never thought that music could truly enhance my experience of sports. It was amazing since this song from the late 60's, the type of music I rarely listen to, influenced me so much. During every game these days, I get up off the sofa and start singing the lyrics loudly.

This post may seem like a personal thing and somewhat overly sentimental but there truly is a deeper meaning behind it which is important. I didn't think Choir could have been that impactful on my life but it truly has been an impactful experience. I have a greater appreciation for music now and it has added to my love of sports. It has also taught me a lesson about trying new things. I never thought singing was for me until I joined the class. That truly is a valuable lesson. And although the season is over every Red Sox game was much more interesting with that song.

HERE IS SOME HISTORY BEHIND SWEET CAROLINE BEING PLAYED AT RED SOX GAME:

http://981thehawk.com/why-is-sweet-caroline-the-boston-red-sox-theme-song/

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean Aneesh. I am also a huge baseball fan and although I’m a fan of The SF Giants the same concept applies. I’ve been lucky enough to travel through the US with my family and have gotten to go to a couple famous baseball stadiums including the Red Sox’s Fenway Park. I took a tour before the game and learned more about the team’s traditions and the “green monster”. They I got to go to the game and watch the Red Sox play, including their Giant’s stolen player, Pablo “Panda” Sandoval. During the eighth inning, like Aneesh said, everyone one in the audience stood up and “Sweet Caroline” started playing. It was truly an amazing experience. There was suddenly such a sense of environment and I wasn’t even from there or a true fan of the team. Everyone in the stands was standing and swaying and singing their hearts out. I think this is such a nice tradition and really brings the community of Red Sox fans together.

    ReplyDelete