Thursday, December 15, 2016

Music Tastes

I have always been interested in the types of music people like. Sometimes it is something you expect, but sometimes it’s completely different from how they seem on the outside. Personally, my music taste has drastically evolved over the years. I used to only listen to the CDs my aunt gave me (mainly very twangy country), then I went to only listening to Top 40 (because I wanted to seem cool), but now, I don’t really know what type of music I’m into. I do still listen to some country and some Top 40, but I also listen to rap, R&B, alternative, and many more that are synthesized and auto-tuned. I remember, when I was younger, I hated synthesized songs with a passion. It’s the furthest thing from country. But when I got into Top 40 (at that time it was still Hey There Delilah and early ‘00s iconic songs) I started incorporating it more into my music taste. I still don’t really know why my music taste has changed so much, but I’m glad I’m more open about the types of music I listen to and that I haven’t kept myself in a musical bubble. Who knows? Maybe you’ll find out you like folk more than Top 40, or rap more than country. Even though something might be way out of your comfort zone, you might actually like it.

1 comment:

  1. This is so true, and it's funny because when I was little, (like 6 or 7) I never knew anything else besides Indian music that my family made. I still know and love every single song that has been written and sung by my aunt, father, and grandfather. When i found out what YouTube was, I was so fascinated by pop music and especially Taylor Swift- to this day I still know every word of her first two or three albums. It's really interesting how this has impacted my taste in pop music today as well- I'm still in love with every single song of her early albums, and always go back to playing and singing them on the guitar whenever I get a chance. Today I still love the sound of genuine pop music with a guitar or piano behind it, or just an acoustic version of any pop song today. I love the original way they are put together using software, it truly is an art, but there' is something else about breaking down a song to its most raw form in an acoustic version. For example, on the Ellen show Justin Bieber sang his song "Cold Water" much slower as a ballad. It sounded so pretty, and it shows off much more of his vocal abilities than the auto tuned version with all the sampled sounds does.

    ReplyDelete