Friday, December 16, 2016

Rock Music Affects on Men

      http://thescienceexplorer.com/brain-and-body/men-should-avoid-rock-music-when-playing-board-games-say-scientists


         I read an article about different types of music and how they affect men when playing board games.The article is at the top if you'd like to read it. In the article it said they had men and women do the game operation and playing three different songs; Andante from Sonata for two pianos by Mozart, Thunderstruck by AC/DC, and the sound of an operating theatre. They tested how long it took you to complete the game and how many mistakes you made. Men seemed to make more mistakes and take longer during Thunderstruck while women weren't affected by Rock music at all. Scientists were not completely sure why the rock music affected the men, but they guessed it was probably created more stress caused by the loud rock music. They also found Mozart decreased number of mistakes made. There have been other types of tests such as this one and they have found that Hip Hop or Jamaican music increase operating speed and other things like this.
        I really thought it was cool to see all these different ways music can affect us in things as simple as a game of operation. I honestly wasn’t very surprised that Rock music affected men that way because if I had loud rock music it would make me feel stressed. What I was surprised about was that it only affected men and women seem to perform the same no matter what music is playing. I am curious what other types of music might affect people doing simple things and if it affected men and women or just onerous the other. All in all I really enjoyed reading and learning more about this.

1 comment:

  1. It's extremely interesting that they found a difference between the sexes. I don't understand why. Music definitely affects both my mood and my performance. There are just certain kinds of music I simply can't listen to and effectively complete the task at hand. I wonder if they had a relatively small test group and the women they sampled were just really focused people. Very interesting concept though, I've always been interested in the different affects music can have on us.

    ReplyDelete