Sunday, December 18, 2016

Heathers: The Musical



Recently, a friend told me about Heathers: the musical and said I should watch it. After I did, I completely fell in love with it. Heathers: the musical is a very dark comedy about a geeky senior girl named Veronica who just wants to be left alone by bullies. In her high school everyone is divided and suffering from insecurities and lashing out against each other except the three most popular girls in the whole school: Heather Duke, Heather McNarma, and the “almighty” Heather Chandler. After getting the Heathers out of detention due to her craftiness, Veronica begs them to let her eat lunch with them, hoping there approval will get the rest of the school to stop picking on her. Heather Chandler decides to take Veronica under her wing and give her the gift of popularity. Later on in the show Veronica meets this mysterious new kid named JD who has his own idea about serving justice. After “accidentally’ poisoning Heather Chandler, the body count keeps rising as JD cannot control his need for revenge. I won’t tell you how it ends because I think everyone should go watch it. My favorite thing about this musical is the music. My favorite songs are the opener “beautiful,” “candy store,” and “dead girl walking.” I highly, highly recommend these songs because they are all fast paced and awesome. Also, best part about the songs is that all the main female characters are all mezzo-sopranos or altos. This is awesome because in many musicals the lead girl is a soprano, so it is nice to have a lead with a fairly low voice. If you enjoy musicals you should totally go watch this because it is basically Mean Girls, but in musical form.

No comments:

Post a Comment