Thursday, December 15, 2016

Morten Lauridsen

Last Monday when we had Mr.Cunningham has a sub, he asked me if I was related to a composer named Morten Lauridsen, as I do have the same last name as him. As far as my family knows, we are not related to him, although we both have danish ancestry (or at least he does according to wikipedia)  But since we have the same last name I thought it would be interesting to look up his work.
As it turns out he is a pretty accomplished composer. In 2007 he received the National Medal of Arts, he was a resident composer for Los Angeles Master Chorale from 1994-2001. Now he is a professor of composition at University of Southern California Thornton School of Music for more than 40 years.

I listened to two of his compositions: O Magnum Mysterium and Lux aeterna, which are both beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment