Thursday, October 13, 2016

The Importance of Learning Music at an Early Age

I have known about music my entire life. My Cuban cousins and grandparents were all extremely musically inclined. The Romeu name is well known in Cuba for their orchestral skills and talents. Since I was a child, I have been going to their concerts and listening to jam sessions at my grandfather's house. I have always had a good ear for music. I believe that learning music at an early age is important for being cultured later on in life. Many people are surprised when they hear how well I know about other types of music.
My cousin Zenaida Romeu is a famous Cuban conductor who studied many years with my uncle Gonzalo Romeu. I have grown up watching her concerts and watching videos of her. She was the first woman in Cuba who was able to conduct. I am posting a link in which my cousin shares her story and shares some videos of her work. I was very lucky to be born in to a cultural Cuban family. The great thing about being in a musical Cuban family is that we appreciate how cultured Cuba was before the Revolution. Nowadays, when people think of Cuba, they think of poverty and Communism. My family praises musical advancements and the importance of ballet. I have grown up with classical music and ballet and I believe that it has really helped me become the person I am now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ5-Zt8u1Ck

2 comments: