Sunday, October 9, 2016

Something I find really interesting is the search for new music. Not just music that you haven’t heard before, but that of actual originality. I have a Spotify playlist with a bunch of the music I grew up listening to with my family, and I usually play it in the car when I drive with my parents to keep everybody happy. But the other day, on a drive up to San Francisco, my Dad asked me to play something else in the middle of a song I though he really liked. I asked him why he wanted to listen to what I listen to on my own time, and not his music. He said that yea his music is good, but it’s what he’s been listening to for the past 25 years and it’s boring to him. I had never thought of the whole thing like this before. 
Lately I have been really into the Glass Animals, and other artists with their similar modern ethereal/tech incorporated sound. So I played some of this music, stuff I thought my Dad would hate, but he was really into it. It was exciting for him to listen to something with  new sound. He says pop ultimately has always been the same, and that it is really refreshing to hear something completely new. He wouldn’t even describe my music as good, but that’s not the point. Weird right?

4 comments:

  1. That's a very interesting thought! Whenever my family and I drive someone together, my dad prefers to listen to his own music. He constantly tells my brother and I that our music sounds like a bunch of baloney. He says that the modern 2016-ish music has no real meaning behind the lyrics and that it sounds like garbage compared to his music. And although he his probably right that his music has greater meaning behind the lyrics, he lacks the appreciation towards music that can be good just because of how it sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im super glad you made this post, I was actually just thinking about the old vs. new music debate a lot recently. I love finding new songs and bands to sing to, or just listen to, and its most likely one of the most important things I do just for myself. Kind of a form of self enrichment thats based purely on enjoyment. Ill find plenty of new alternative, pop, rock, or electronic based songs that I get absolutely hung up on for a length of time, yet somehow, for me, it always fades away after a time, and I find myself going back to the music of my childhood and what my parent played for me as I grew up (a quite eclectic mix including the Beatles and the Killers). Somehow this back and forth motion of my music listening habits allows me to rarely get tired of a genre, artist, or song for a great length of time; and most importantly, it allows me to rediscover my old favorite music again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In a way, I understand why your dad did that.
    This summer I went to India for a month, and when I got back, I saw my home and my surroundings in a totally different light. My house seemed huge, the weather seemed cold, and the roads seemed giant -- something I had never noticed before. The sky seemed full of clouds, and there were a lot of trees everywhere.
    My point is, if I had never exposed myself to something different, I would have never have spotted all these details. I feel like its the same for music. Exposing yourself to different genres means you never get bored or lost, and actually appreciate your own music more, and see it in ways that you never have before. You also appreciate different genres more as well. Instead of focusing on the things you dislike about a certain genre or style, you appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete