Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Music and Emotion

I was watching The Voice one weekend and I heard Adam say, “A lot of people think that singing is about how many notes you can hit. It’s not. Music is about how much emotion you can make someone feel.”
This is my first year of choir, and after being exposed to many different types of songs in class, I feel like this is very true. In class, we had to sing many songs in many different languages, and there were obvious favorites and ones we disliked. At the time I thought it was just for many different reasons, but looking back, I can see that all the songs we sang were quite similar. Though some went higher than others and had less or more dynamics, all of them were fulfilling as a song in some way.

So why did I like some more than others? It all came down to emotion, and how those songs made me feel. I have found that songs that make me feel peaceful and relaxed are the ones I enjoyed more, regardless of the exact writing or notes they hit. I also experienced this the other day; a kid was playing Bell Carol on the piano in the student center, and I immediately smiled and thought of Christmas, and of happiness and family. Perhaps this is why Christmas music has the effect it does; because we tap into it, and it makes us feel good.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with everything you said on your post! Music is capable of striking a chord within you, even if you are just flipping through the stations on your car radio or on random playlists on Spotify. Sometimes we take music for granted (or at least, I did). Yet we expect it to be a part of our everyday lives, simply because it always has been. If you think about it, life would be really strange, and somewhat lacking without music.
    P.S, I love The Voice! :)

    ReplyDelete