Tuesday, October 11, 2016

I love music, its no secret. And as I've been learning more and more about singing, I thought I had almost reached my maximum potential for appreciation of the musical arts. Slowly I'm beginning to realize how ignorant that point of view was and is.
Almost 2 months ago, I began to learn guitar, as I yearned for a little bit something more to go with my singing. And that was it. The sole reason I decided to learn guitar. Not a horrible reason I suppose, but it wasn't purely out of appreciation for a musical instrument that I began my lessons. As time goes on, my teacher has begun to explain more in-depth music theory on guitar, and I've begun to really take my time with my new instrument, experimenting as much as possible with its sound, and I feel I've begun to respect it much, much more. A guitar is quite literally a tool of man, and can be played expertly by anyone with enough practice. However, the more I play mine, and the more research I do onto others playing the instrument, I realize that what really separates good sounds from beautiful sounds is the passion a person puts into playing the instrument. To me, a continued appreciation for learning music is a key to success of the personal sound. I've begun to appreciate my guitar as a sound by itself, rather than only be something to be played while I sing, and I'm beginning to recognize its versatility in a new light. I'm sure many other music lovers out there have already made this discovery, but I just thought I'd share this thought.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post and I totally agree with you. Learning an instrument shows you how to appreciate different types of music. For example, many people enjoy guitar for its presence in rock and pop music, but I love how the guitar sounds in Spanish sounding music. Additionally, I believe that I am great at sight singing and music theory because I learned how to play piano at a young age. Playing while singing really helps with your personal sound. I think that discovering new music on your own really helps you appreciate the sound and helps you develop your musical ear.

    ReplyDelete