Saturday, October 10, 2015


I found this video of a woman singing inside a mire system. It is interesting to see how the tongue moves when you are singing. You can see very clearly when it is she opens her throat and how literal that phrase is. They talk about her range and the differences between vowel sounds in the mouth. There is also an emcee, and seeing how fast his tongue moves is incredible. Really you should click on the link and see it for yourself. It was presented at the ISMRM Sounds and Visions Session, May 2006, in Seattle. 

2 comments:

  1. During a voice lesson one time Ms. Hughes showed me an amazing video somewhat similar. It was of the 4 main vocal parts, a soprano, alto, tenor, and bass, all having a camera inserted through their nose and directed towards their throat (a little gross I know). However uncomfortable it may have been, as soon as they started to sing, you could see how the throat opened and closed, as well as the vocal chords, and just about everything else you could imagine. The most astonishing thing to me, however, was the differences between the various parts. The tenor and soprano, the higher parts, seemed to open the throat less somehow when compared to the alto and bass, as well as their muscles in the throat seeming to be smaller in comparison.

    After a little bit of digging I was actually able to find the video! If you haven’t seen the vocal cords in action before, or if you’re just interested, it is definitely something cool to check out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XGds2GAvGQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very interesting. I like when they show the outer limits of the women's range compared to their middle range. I also love seeing the movement of the tongue. To me the tongue looks like when someone is on all fours and contracts their back(cat cow). Watching this video made me think of a video I saw of Steven Tyler's vocal chords while he was singing(I might have seen this with Ms. Hughes). That other video was kind of the same format. They had Steven sing scales and compared his high range with his middle range.

    ReplyDelete