Tuesday, October 6, 2015

History of Opera

As I was pondering what to write for this post, I realized that I definitely do not know as much about opera as I should know.  So, I searched for an article about how opera originated and how it has developed to be what it is today.  I ended up finding this article...
http://www.epoc.co/?q=node/88
This is a must have guide to opera.  It answers many questions one may have like, "what is an opera?" or "how is an opera different from a musical?" or "what is IN an opera?"  These burning questions have now been answered!  In one part of the article it explains why opera is so special compared to other types of performances, and it says "Opera is a unique fusion of words, music and design. These ingredients, when combined, deliver large amounts of information to the audience simultaneously – information about the characters’ outlook, feelings, motivations and actions. If the composer, librettist, designer and director all rise to the challenges of the art-form, the result, for the audience, can be uniquely absorbing, moving, and thrilling."  I love this because when I read this I imagined how all these components could be thrown together in such a small amount of time and how it could be quite overwhelming and not enjoyable.  But, somehow opera does it in such a gorgeous and fascinating way that it is truly remarkable.  This article really got me thinking about why I don't go see more operas.  But, I do now feel moderately educated about the world of opera.  

No comments:

Post a Comment