Sunday, November 15, 2015

Adagio for Strings op.11- Barber

When I do my homework, I sometimes listen to Spotify’s “Classical Cafe” playlist. It has light, really pretty classical music which is perfect because it isn’t jolting or wordy and it’s really mellow. There are several pieces on it which have stood out, yet one in particular popped out the other day when I was doing my homework. I thought, “This would be a really cool choir piece!” It is so beautiful, with a full bodied yet high sound; just absolutely gorgeous. It has great movement, and just would be perfect for voices. A few days later, I was listening to it again and thought the same thing, and got really curious. So, I searched the name of the piece on youtube, but added in the search “choir.” Turns out, under a different name of "Agnus Dei", it was made into a choral piece. I couldn't believe I had actually guessed right; I must not be the only one who thought it would be great for choir. It is for a mixed choir, which is a bit of a bummer because I am in women’s. I tried to find a bella voce version but I don't think one exists. Maybe Ms. Hughes will use it one day for callista… Anyways, although I still like the piece better in instrument form, it really is a beautiful choir piece as well.

Choir Version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6eB20t4sAE

Orchestral: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBK30bJagEA

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous piece of music in both of its forms. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous piece of music in both of its forms. Love it!

    ReplyDelete