Monday, November 30, 2015


I may not be in the acapella seminar, however I still love listening to covers, and even sometimes originals, by certain groups. The idea of making sounds and complete songs with nothing more than your bodies, even more specifically your mouths, are a great way to express yourself creatively. Ryan and Conall first introduced me to the concept in 9th grade, as they were both singing along to an original by Davinci’s Notebook. The group is no longer together, but it was comprised of four friends who created their own spoofs of other songs and singers, adding a comical twist upon them. As they are a comedic group, some of their songs can be a bit juvenile at times, but for the most part a lot of their lyrics are quite clever and get quite a laugh from most audiences. The group wrote songs, creating a parody of Meatloaf’s singing style (“Three Little Words”), a parody of Johnny River’s “Secret Agent Man” (“Secret Asian Man”), a comical interpretation of the average Irishman’s life (“Another Irish Drinking Song”) and many more alike. My personal favorite is their song “Kingdom in the Sky,” it's a song all about Disneyland, somewhat making fun of it and those who attend the parks, yet holding it upon a pedestal as if it is their salvation. I highly suggest taking a look at these guy’s stuff if you’re in for a laugh, but it isn’t for the faint of heart, be warned. (Also I hope if choir goes to Disneyland in the future for more performances, some people will agree to sing this hilarious song with me while running around the park. Here’s a link to the song)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VbSZN1XVNA&index=24&list=PLKhdEGqO4rT-70_wqaOPmmv3lsyVvGJ8z

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that the concept of acapella is amazing. That our voices are able to stand in place of instruments. It is comforting to know that if your ever find yourself with others but found without an instrument, who cares? Just make a sound with your voice and there you go! I was intrigued after listening to the "Kingdom in the Sky" so I listened to the other songs by Da Vinci's Notebook and I found myself amazed by "Secret Asian Man". Not only were the lyrics hilarious and clever, but the sounds that each member of the group was able to make and then put it all together was awesome! I went on the listen to almost all of them and loved each song. They were able to have a different style for each song they covered. Acapella and barbershop groups do not get enough recognition these days! It makes me angry because the pop singers that have the same sound and style in every one of their songs get more attention and publicity than classic down to earth acapella groups. I believe that people should stop hating on choirs and acapella groups because the idea and concept of both are amazing and deserve more credit than they get. I loved this acapella group and I am so glad that you shared this with the choir.

    ReplyDelete