Sunday, November 29, 2015

Marina & The Diamonds

When I was in seventh grade, I went to the PCS dance company show and saw a dance to the song "I Am Not A Robot" by Marina & The Diamonds. I thought both the song and the dance were really beautiful, and it was stuck in my head the next few days. I then looked up Marina & the Diamonds and became pretty obsessed. I even was able to go to her concert when I was in 8th grade, and squished my way into the front row. Her voice was what I always considered very operatic, though I'm not sure if a choral director would exactly agree with that. She has a super wide range which makes it really fun to sing to. Her lyrics are also really refreshing, she sings a lot about the desire for success. As far as her vocal training, she said in an interview that she took choir when she was in middle school but otherwise just sang on her own. I've always felt that her songs would make great candidates for a choir to perform. I'm sure someone could transpose them into a SSA arrangement.
The song I think would work best for this is "Numb" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7367icMhuI).
I've always had her in the back of my mind as a topic to post about, her voice is so cool and totally influenced me in joining choir in the first place.
If you look up sheet music for Marina & The Diamonds you get a fair number of results, but not so much if you look up choral arrangements. Go take a listen to some of her songs though!

2 comments:

  1. I agree. Last year when I took dance, me and my friends choreographed a piece to pre madona by marina and the diamonds and it was really fun. I love her technique and style and agree that she has an amazing range, its so cool that you got to see her. One thing I found amazing about marina is how she could to any style of music and still have her voice sound unique in many ways. She is not only technical but very original and incorporates that in many songs. Some of her songs were fast, some slow, some happy, some sad, she can sing all of it, some even different genres, but mainly focusing on pop. When she is performing, she always finds a way to engage with the audience through her stage presence. She smiles, dances, and acts on stage like she's conveying a story which is something you don't see in every artist. When she is performing, she tends to have huge facial expressions so your attention is never lost and your always engaged in whatever it is she's singing. It's so cool that you got to see an amazing artist like her. She's so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been in dance company, but I remember going to one of the performances and really enjoying a dance that a few people did to a Marina and The Diamonds song about a year or two ago. I already knew a couple of her songs before seeing the dance, but after seeing their performance done so well with her music, I got a lot more into her. Hopefully there will be some more dances in the upcoming years with Marina and The Diamonds!

    ReplyDelete