Tuesday, May 10, 2016

One of the biggest debates that often occurs between students and parents it seems (or at least between me and my parents), is whether music can be helpful or harmful when concentrating on something important like studying. This issue is attracting the attention of many magazines and newspapers, and it is pretty easy to find articles both for and against the use of music while trying to concentrate. In my personal opinion, and feel free to argue with me about this, it is distracting to have music while working. The thing is. People naturally want to connect with music. Especially if it is music you like, which I assume it would be if you are listening to it while you work, it is a natural tendency to become actively involved with music. If it is music with lyrics, the obvious temptation is to sing along, but even if it doesn't have lyrics, I find myself wanting to just sit back a listen without any distraction from the music, and therefore music actually becomes the distraction. However, living with a brother and a dad who play electric guitar at all hours, I completely understand the need to drown out noise. I find what is the most helpful is listening to either white noise, or recorded nature sounds like the ocean or the rain. This allows your brain to block out noises that may distract you, and listen to something simple and monotonous, but not irritating, as an alternative for music.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with finding music distracting. I am always surprised to see people being able to work so well while listening to their iPods. The biggest problem I have with working and listening to music is that it is almost like trying to read two things at once because listening to the lyrics also requires comprehension. It is especially hard if the song has really great lyrics (Hamilton) and it just makes you want to sing along. However, I have found that for me it is easier to listen to music and work on math rather than English or history. Although I am not totally sure why I find it so much easier to solve equations than write an essay, I think it has to do with reading words. When I am trying to read a poem for analysis, it is extremely distracting to hear someone singing different words in my head. I literally cannot hear myself think! But personally I don’t find music distracting if it does not have lyrics. I think the real distracting part of music is the words, but if the music is classical or jazz without vocals I think it is a lot easier to listen and be productive. Sometimes I find that the lack of noise can also be distracting. If the house is too quiet, then I find myself getting annoyed at the slightest sounds like window blinds being knocked around by the wind or my cat meowing. In times like this I feel I concentrate better when there is a little classical music playing in the background at a low volume. If you can study hard while listening to music I am very jealous of you, but I guess it differs for everyone.

    ReplyDelete