Friday, May 6, 2016

Master Class

About a month ago, I went to go see Jewel Theater Company's rendition of Master Class by Terrence McNally. I went mostly because a friend of the family was starring in the lead role, but it kind of became about more than just that.
I wasn't expecting to find a lot of the same things I've learned in choir and voice lessons repeated onstage that night, nor was I expecting to find a story about an Icarus-inspired opera singer to be so interesting.
Master Class is a play about Maria Callas, one of the most famous opera singers in the 20th century. Throughout it, she gives an, as titled, master class to some students at Julliard. There are multiple operas performed within the play, all famous ones, and a slightly embellished backstory is woven in among the lyrics.
It's an absolutely beautiful play, and some of the lessons Maria gives the students throughout it are absolutely important for not just opera, but any type of singing. I'd definitely go see it again if I had the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment