Monday, May 9, 2016

Albums vs. The Internet

      I came up with the idea for this blog post a while ago. We were figuring out what order to put the songs for one of our concerts in, when it struck me that a large part of music is finding a logical and/or meaningful order for one's albums. I then realized I had almost never listened, without interruption or distraction, an entire album. I think this is mainly because of the increase in technology and how accessible music is nowadays, you can just hit shuffle and have a variety of music at your fingertips, but isn’t something lost in the process? It is almost impossible to listen to individual tracks from Pink floyd's Dark Side of the Moon because he made the entire album seem part of one song. He repeats the same musical themes in different tracks making them flow perfectly one after another, without listening to the whole album you can’t fully appreciate it. Even if there is not such an obvious need to listen to an entire album, the artists still put in the effort to set up the album in a way that would express themselves, or create a feeling. I encourage you, sometime this week, if you have time, to listen to an album and see if it makes you more appreciative of the artist.

1 comment:

  1. WOW. I HAVE NEVER REALIZED THAT. I know of specific albums that you MUST listen to in order or it just won't make sense, but what you said is so true! Every album must have some sort of order to it and I'm sure that the artist hopes you listen to it in order. I never listen to albums in order! Now I think that I won't be able to stop, like it will become an obsession of mine! So THANK YOU for such a thought and insight into the mind of an artist! I appreciate it! :)

    ReplyDelete