Thursday, February 18, 2016


Over this past three-day weekend, I was lucky enough to catch one of the last showings of Jersey Boys in San Francisco. I left the two and a half hour performance of 60s rock and pop music absolutely exhilarated.  After the show, however, I began thinking about how accurate this interpretation of the story of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons really was, as story writers do have the tendency to overdramatize or stretch the truth while writing scripts to make a show more appealing or entertaining (which is entirely understandable). Still, I went home and decided to look up the story of Frankie Valli on the internet for myself. Born in 1934, Francesco Stephen Castellucio was said to have decided on a career in showbiz after seeing a young Frank Sinatra perform live at the Paramount Theatre. Something largely glossed over in the musical Jersey Boys was how Castellucio became Valli, a decision that was made very early in his career. After a little digging, I found that he took the name from his original inspiration and singing mentor, Jean Valli. A person never even mentioned in the show, which shocked me, as Jean supposedly scored Frankie his first hit single by taking him to her own publishers and telling them he was her brother. I thought this to be incredible, and it now made sense to me why Frankie took her last name, as she was a great influence to his life, and the two seemed almost family. Frankie Valli went on to produce countless hits: “Sherry,” “Cant Take My Eyes Off You,” “Big Girls Don't Cry,” and so so many more. Finding myself now slightly more enlightened now that I know the true origins of Frankie Valli’s changed name, Ill continue to listen to the Jersey Boys sountrack with greater knowledge, and Ill also ultimately fail at matching the impossibly high falsetto range of the great singers who took on the role of Valli himself.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen Jersey Boys twice professionally, and I've loved it every single time. That's sort of odd for me because I am typically not a fan of jukebox musicals at all (like Mamma Mia I don't even want to talk about but that might just be my disdain for ABBA don't hate me), but Jersey Boys was awesome. I remember sitting in the audience next to my mom and I was so embarrassed because she was humming along to pretty much every song. I think the way they wrote it with each band member talking about a "season" (PUNS) of the band - Tommy was spring, Bob was summer, Nick was fall and Frankie was winter. Nick's monologue about the towels is honestly one of the greatest lines in the history of Broadway. But yeah, fun music, stands test of time, etc. Also, I don't know if you've seen the movie version (you probably have) but it stays very true to the stage production and is definitely worth watching.

    ReplyDelete