Saturday, January 16, 2016

Sam Smith Spectre

Last October I got to go to San Francisco to see a preview screening of the James Bond movie, Spectre. It was one of my favorite Bond films in the last few years, and it was fun to see the movie a few weeks before it was in the theaters, best of all, the theme song Writing’s On The Wall was performed by Sam Smith, one of my favorite performers. The melody fits the haunting, mysterious tone of the film, but Smith does not like singing the song because he says the pitch is too high.

If you listen to the lyrics, it is obvious that they were written specifically for Bond. It may stretch his range, but it’s a great song. Its not surprising that the song won the Golden Globe this year. In an interview last week, Sam Smith said he was sitting in a coffee shop having coffee with his mum when he got the call saying he had been nominated for the Oscar. His response was “Feeling very overwhelmed and just can’t believe it. Better pick out a gown.” Not bad for a guy who is only 23.
To see his video of the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jzDnsjYv9A

1 comment:

  1. I too like Sam Smiths voice and most of his songs. I have not seen the new Bond movie Spectre but I will take your word for it. However, I did watch the video that you attached in your blog post. The song definitely fits the James Bond theme! I really liked the song as well. Personally I think he rocked it! I don't think it was out of his range at all. He has a reputation for being able to hit those high notes and runs and make it work in his songs. I did further research on the song and Sam Smith because I was curious. I found that he did write the song and in only under one hour which is crazy. This is interesting because in your blog post you said that he did not really enjoy singing the song because it has a high pitch. My question is though if he wrote the song then why didn't he just put it in a different pitch; maybe a lower one. Either way it is a great song and it fits the James Bond theme and movie very well.

    ReplyDelete